There's no doubt that 2020 was an interesting year all around. Sales teams particularly suffered with most that I know missing targets month after month. It's disheartening and many sales professionals lost motivation and energy.
So as a sales leader, what can we do to reset and restart fresh for this new year?
Here's 5 things you can do to fire up your sales team in 2021.
The choice is yours:
1. Build positive RELATIONSHIPS with your team.
"If we learn to trust more, we can have unprecedented human progress"
- Harvard Professor Frances Frei
Two reasons for this:
2. Give them clear DIRECTION.
"If you don't know where you are going, how are you going to get there?"
- Yogi Berra
3. Get out from behind your desk and UNDERSTAND what they are facing.
"A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected"
- Simon Sinek
4. INVEST in your people - there are significant gains to be made by showing that you are willing to develop your team.
CFO says "What happens if we train them & they leave?"
CEO says "What happens if we don't train them & they stay?"
5. Embarrassingly so, one of the best things I ever did to life the performance of my team was to relieve one of my NON-PERFORMERS.
"A bad apple can ruin a whole bunch"
We know who they are and we know what we must do. Whilst no one likes dismissing people, if you don't everyone loses - you lose credibility from your team, individuals lose their self-esteem and the company loses the respect of your customers.
As a sales leader the buck stops with you. How are you going to fire up your team this year?